Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Who is responsible for replacement of a mailbox, mailbox latch, and mailbox posts?

In September 2004 Nottingham Forest Homes Association assumed responsibility for all mailboxes in order to maintain a standard for the community. Mailboxes are owned by NFHA and are not to be defaced or changed in any manner. Should you experience a problem with your mailbox (magnet, flag, door, post or vehicle damage) contact Steve Parker at 913-375-2261 (E-Mail:

Who is responsible for trees damaged due to weather?

Overland Park is responsible for all trees located in the parkway (or within 11′ of the inside curb if no sidewalk exists). Trees that are removed will be replaced at the discretion of Overland Park and within budget constraints. When trees are replaced the homeowner is responsible for routine watering, pruning and other care. Homeowners may replace parkway trees as long as selection is made from Overland Park’s approved street tree list. You may review Overland Park’s Street Tree Policy (Overland Park Municipal Code Chapter 7.16, Trees and Shrubs)..

Who is responsible for tree limbs hanging over sidewalks or causing obstruction?

NFHA annually trims all parkway trees (normally in January) to a height of 8′ over sidewalks and 13′ over roadways in accordance with Overland Park’s requirements. During the growing season it is the responsibility of the homeowner to trim tree limbs that overhang sidewalks and obstruct pedestrian traffic. The City Forester may be contacted with additional questions (913-327-6639) regarding pruning or replacement of parkway trees. Please read…

Overland Park’s Ordinance for Tree Maintenance

NOTE: In order to view and print this document, you must have Adobe Acrobat 3.0 or higher. This is a free application that you can download from the web.

Tree and Shrub Maintenance Policy according to the City of Overland Park:

Dead trees and broken or dead limbs that present a hazard to the public must be removed.

You must keep shrubs and trees trimmed to eliminate sight distance problems on corner properties.

Public rights-of-way such as streets and sidewalks must remain clear of limbs and branches. The minimum height clearance over sidewalks is 8 feet. The minimum height clearance over streets is 12 feet and for improved thoroughfares and designated truck routes the height clearance is 13 feet.

Who is responsible for the care of new trees planted on or near their property?

The homeowner is responsible for the proper maintenance of these new trees, including watering the trees on and near their property. Please review the NFHA Street Tree Policy for more information.

Swimming Pool: Dates and Hours of Operation

May 27 to July 31

Monday-Friday – 11am-9pm
Saturday 9am-9pm
Sunday 11am-9pm
Holidays 11am-9pm

August 1 to September 5

Monday-Friday 11am-8pm
Saturday 9am-9pm
Sunday 11am-9pm
Holidays 11am-8pm

Any weekdays on which the area public school is in session, the facility will be open from 4pm to 8pm.

How do I contact the pool office?

Call 913-897-3136. The street address is 11940 Grant Street.

Are swimming lessons offered at the Nottingham Forest Pool?

Swimming lessons are available from the pool management company. Further information is available at the pool during normal operational hours.

How much does trash pickup cost?

The cost of trash/recycle/yard waste is included in your yearly dues.

When is trash/recycle and yard waste picked up?

All trash/recycle and yard waste is picked up on Tuesday of each week, regardless of holidays.
NOTE: During the months of January through March yard waste is picked up on the second Tuesday of each of these months only). All trash and recycle material must be placed in containers provided by Town and Country. Stickers are available from Town and Country (816-380-5595) at a fee for trash that exceeds the capacity of your trash container. There is no limitation on amount of recycle material placed at the curb weekly. Containers may be placed at the curb no earlier than 24 hours in advance and not later than 6:30AM on day of pickup. Trash/Recycle containers are to be placed at the curb with wheels to the rear. Yard waste must be placed in paper bags or rigid containers not larger than 32 gallons (NO LIDS) (PLASTIC BAGS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP). Branches and tree limbs are to be bundled in lengths of no longer than 4′ and diameter of 18″. Yard waste is unlimited throughout the year. Bulk pickup is available once a month. Contact Town & Country at 816-380-5595 for further information on bulk pickup. Glass is not picked up by Town and Country. You may take glass items to the Overland Park recycling center located at 11921 Hardy (behind the fire station at 119th and Lowell). Missed pickups and other questions should be directed to Steve Parker, Property Manager 913-375-2261, E-Mail:

When are leaves and other yard waste picked up in the winter months?

Yard waste and leaves during the months of January through March are picked up on the 2nd Tuesday of each of these months. The amount that you can put out during these months is still unlimited.

When is Large Item Pickup?

Overland Park provides large item collection for one half of the city each year, generally in March or April. Our next pickup will be in the spring of 2015. Items typically not collected by our trash service provider will be picked up, including furniture, appliances and limited amounts of remodeling debris. Overland Park’s website ( Resources/Trash and Recycling will provide you with additional information.

Are there any restrictions to the type of roofing used on a home in Nottingham Forest?

Please consult the Roof Ammendment.

How much and when are homes association dues collected?

For calendar year 2015 the dues were $750 as a result of changing the calendar year from year ending 30 September to year ending 31 December. Dues are $600 for a normal 12 month year which will return in 2016. Dues statements are mailed in October of each year. Dues not paid by 23 December will result in a late fee of $100 being assessed.
Address: NFHA, P.O. Box 25523, Overland Park, KS 66225

What are the access codes to enter the tennis court and swimming pool?

When is the NFHA Newsletter published?

The e-newsletter contains items of interest or announcements and is emailed to subscribers frequently, as needed. Beginning Jan. 2008, all newsletters are sent out via email.

Who do I call when I see trash cans left outside after trash has been picked up?

Call Community Services at 895-6370 on MONDAY MORNINGS to report trash cans that have been left outside of the home. Your name will remain anonymous.

How do I submit an item for the E-newsletter?

Please submit your request with our contact form and select e-newsletter in the “Type of Inquiry” dropdown.

How do I go about making reservations for the pool?

Reservations are made through our website by filling out the Pool Cabana Reservation Form. To make a reservation please click here.

How can I contact the utilities companies?

Electricity: KCP&L 471-5275, REPORT POWER OUTAGE AT 1-888-544-4852
Water: Water #1 of Johnson County: 913-895-1800 (INCLUDING EMERGENCIES)
Wastewater: Johnson County Wastewater: 913-715-8590
Telephone/Cable TV – contact information available on your monthly statement

How can I contact area schools?

Area schools can be reached at:
High School:

Blue Valley NW High School
13260 Switzer Road
Middle School:
Oxford Middle School

12500 Switzer Road
Grade School:
Oak Hill Elementary School
10200 W 124th Street
Johnson County Community College
12345 College Blvd
Overland Park, KS 66210
University of Kansas – Edwards Campus
12600 Quivira Road
Overland Park, KS 66213

What are the area hospitals and emergency numbers?

Area hospitals and emergency numbers are:
Children’s Mercy South Hospital
5808 W. 110th Street
Overland Park, KS 66211
Menorah Medical Center
5721 W 119th Street
Overland Park, KS 66209
Olathe Medical Center
20333 W 151st Street
Olathe, KS 66061 (Exit 215 on I-35)
Overland Park Regional Hospital
10500 Quivira Road
Overland Park, KS 66215
Saint Joseph Health Center
1000 Carondelet Drive
Kansas City, MO 64114 (State Line Exit on I-435)
Saint Luke’s South Hospital
12300 Metcalf Ave
Overland Park, KS 66213
Shawnee Mission Medical Center
9100 W 74th Street
Shawnee Mission, KS 66204 (75th Street Exit on I-35)
Emergency: Dial 911
Fire (Non-Emergency): 913-888-6066
12401 Hemlock
Overland Park, KS 66213
Police (Non-Emergency): 913-895-6300
12400 Foster
Jack Sanders Justice Center
Overland Park, KS 66213
Poison Control: 913-588-6633

Useful Phone Numbers and Locations

Overland Park Municipal Court
Jack Sanders Justice Center
12400 Foster
Overland Park, KS 66213
Johnson County District Court
100 N. Kansas Ave
Olathe, KS 66061 (Santa Fe Street & Kansas Ave)
Kansas Driver’s License Stations:
6507 Johnson Drive
Mission, KS 66202
20162 W. 151st Street
Olathe, KS 66061 (Located in the Great Mall of the Great Plains)
Motor Vehicle Office Locations:
Mission MVO
6000 Lamar Ave
Suite 120
Mission, KS 66202
Olathe MVO
782 N. Ridgeview Road
Olathe, KS 66061
Libraries in Overland Park:
Blue Valley Library
9000 W 151st Street
Central Resource Library
9875 W 87th Street
Oak Park Library
9500 Blue Jacket
Overland Park City Hall
8500 Santa Fe Drive
Overland Park, KS 66212
Community Services: 913-895-6270
Animal Control: 913-895-6300
Blue Valley Post Office
12433 Antioch Road
Overland Park, KS 66213
Road Conditions:
Kansas: 511 or 1-866-511-5368
Missouri: 1-800-222-6400

Street Light Repairs

To report an outage, submit a help request through Overland Park’s website ( then(OPCares), the city’s customer service system, with a description of the problem, location and any other pertinent information.


Kansas City Star 1-877-962-7827

How can I contact NFHA board members?

Nottingham Forest Homes Association Board: 685-1996
Board Position
Phone #
Term Expires
President Vacant
VP/Landscaping Betty O’neill 681-8216
Secretary Judy Denesia 897-4450
Treasurer Bill Goodwin 239-0223
Trees Vacant
Tennis Courts/Monuments/Mailbox Chris Lillard 681-0684
Pool Heidi
Architectural Lisa Tagtmeyer 530-3450
Social Susan Hoffman 312-375-5491

Who do I contact to welcome new neighbors?

If you know of any new neighbors, please call Diane Browne at 913-575-4470 or Penny Hardesty at 648-7800.

Who do I contact regarding a problem yard or property that is not being properly maintained?

Talk to your neighbor first, if possible. If that doesn’t work contact Community Services (913-895-6270) or submit a service request through the Overland Park website ( then (OPCares), the city’s customer service system.

Where and what hazardous materials can be dropped off?

The Johnson County Hazardous Material Collection Program collects adhesives, car batteries, cleaning products, disinfectants, pesticides, fertilizers, paint, paint stripper, solvents, pool chemicals, wood preservatives, gasoline, brake fluid and antifreeze. Materials not accepted are asbestos, medical waste and radioactive waste. The facility is open year-round by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Residents can call the Johnson County Environmental Dept for an appointment (913-715-6907) and directions to the site.

Where can I dispose of glass containers and extra recycle items?

Overland Park operates a recycling center located at 11921 Hardy (behind the fire station at 119th & Lowell). There is no charge for dropping off these items. Go to Overland Park’s website (, click on Resident Resources, then Trash/Recycle then Drop Off Recycling Center for more information.

How do I obtain a neighborhood telephone directory?

Please contact us via this web site to request a copy. This directory is revised and distributed every two years.

How do I reserve a tee time for one of the Overland Park's City golf courses?

To make a reservation on line, visit the City’s web page ( and click on Things to See and Do, then Golf Courses. Reservations also may be made by calling 913-341-8100.

What are the rules for placing temporary signs in residential areas?

Please visit Overland Park’s web site,, for some helpful tips for placing your temporary signs in compliance with City ordinances.

What are the rules/requirements for fence construction on homeowner property?

Prior to start of work a fence permit is required. These are issued by the Building Safety Division located at 8500 Santa Fe Drive (City Hall) (913-895-6225). Please visit Overland Park’s website ( then Resident Resources, then Neighborhood Resources then Permits and Licenses for more information.

The following is from legal documents from Nottingham Forest regarding fences: Construction of hedges, fences and boundary walls: Any hedge, fence or boundary wall shall not disfigure the property or the neighborhood. No fences or boundary wall exceeding six (6) feet in height shall be constructed without the written consent of the Developers, if a part of the original construction, or written consent of the Nottingham Forest Homes Association, if constructed after the residential structure is completed.

Chain link fence is not authorized for residential property within Nottingham Forest.

How can I obtain a list of registered sex offenders that may be living in my neighborhood?

Visit the Kansas Bureau of Investigation website to view the most current list of registered sex offenders in the state of Kansas.

Who is responsible for and how do we report an area of sidewalk that is in need of repair?

Pursuant to Overland Park Municipal Code, persons or entities owning property adjacent to the right-of-way or easement upon which there is a public sidewalk are responsible for maintenance and repair of same; however, the city may elect to undertake maintenance and repair. To report a sidewalk problem submit a help request thru (OPCares), the city’s customer service system. Repairs are done within yearly budget constraints. Should homeowners want to repair their own sidewalks with a private contractor, they are certainly encouraged to do so, but must obtain a Right-of-way work permit and locate all utilities.

Where can I drop off used electronic equipment to be recycled?

Electronic collection events are held once a year by the city of Overland Park, usually in May. If you have electronic devices that you want to recycle at other times visit the website of ( to locate a nearby recycling center.

How can I prevent Door-to-Door Salespeople from soliciting at my home?

To ward off unwanted visitors, the City Clerk’s office sells “NO SOLICITING” stickers for a minimal fee. They can be purchased at the City Clerk’s office located in City Hall at 8500 Santa Fe Drive on weekdays.
Solicitors who knock on a door if this sticker or a “NO TRESPASSING” sign is present are subject to a city citation. Salespeople cannot solicit prior to 10AM or after 9PM. If the homeowner says they are not interested and the solicitor does not leave, call the Police.

Who do I call to report a lost pet?

Stray dogs that are picked up in our community by Animal Control are taken to Great Plains SPCA, 9827 W 67th Street, Merriam, KS 913-742-7329. Call animal control if your pet is missing at 913-895-6300. Officers will check records to see if you pet was picked up. On the web contact ( to post lost and found pets. Craig’s List under Community (Lost and Found) is another resource available.

When is the Neighborhood Garage Sale?

The NFHA Garage Sale is held the first weekend in October. It begins on Thursday and ends on Saturday.


City of Overland Park Minimum Requirements for Private Property


How tall can your grass or weeds be before it is a violation?

A violation exists when the weeds or grass are more than 8 inches in height (or more than 8 inches in length if matted down). A violation also exists if there is any poisonous vegetation such as poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac. Other vegetation such as vines, saplings or shrubs may also be a violation if it exceeds the 8 inch height regulation and is clearly uncultivated.

Who is responsible for correcting the violation?

The violation should be corrected by the person responsible for the maintenance of the property. In most cases that is the property owner, but it may be the tenant or owner representative.

What area must be mowed?

To avoid violations residents must mow their yard and lawn as well as any area between their property and the paved area of all adjacent streets, including ditches, easements, alleys, unpaved right-of-way and storm drainage swales.

How much time is allowed to correct a violation?

The violation must be corrected in five calendar days if the property owner resides with the state or 10 days if he or she resides outside the state, starting from the date of the Notice of Abatement. If legal publication of the notice is necessary, owners have 10 days from the date of publication.

What is the penalty if I fail to correct the violation?

If the owner does not correct the violation after proper notification, the city will issue a work order to mow the property. The owner is responsible for the contractor’s hourly rate plus a $100 administrative fee. Properties that are cut after notification to the contractor are subject to the $100 administrative fee and a contractor’s trip charge of $35. The property owner may also receive a notice to appear in court.

Exterior Maintenance of Structures

Foundations must be maintained higher than the level of the adjacent ground, and may not have openings that would allow animals to enter.

Exterior Surfaces
The exterior shall be free of holes, breaks, any loose or damaged construction material, or any other means that would allow rain, moistures, insects or animals inside. Painted surfaces must be repainted when scaling or peeling exceeds 20 percent of the surface of any area.

Trim must also be free of holes, breaks, and loose or damaged construction material.

Exterior Openings
Every exterior opening shall be fitted with a window, door, basement hatchway cover or crawl space cover. Each opening must be kept in good repair to prevent animals, rain and surface drainage from entering the structure.

All windows are required to have full-glass windowpanes. Any substitute material must be approved by the Community Services Environmental Specialist or the Manager of Community Services. Every opening within four feet of the ground must be protected to keep insects and rodents from getting into the structure.

All doors must fit within their frame, with latches and hinges maintained in good working condition. Doors need to be repainted if more than 20 percent of the surface is scaling or peeling.

Roof and Gutters
Roof and all parts of a roof must be maintained to keep rain, moisture, and animals out. Guttering and downspouts must be repaired or repainted if broken, damaged or rusted, or if they have peeling or scaling paint on more than 20 percent of the surface.

All repairs to the exterior must be done with materials compatible with the existing treatment. When windowpanes, doors, or other exterior openings are externally covered for security or other reasons, the material used must be painted or treated the same color as the trim or structure.

Failure to comply with the exterior maintenance requirements discussed here constitutes a violation of the city’s ordinance and a ticket may be issued each day the violation remains and subject to a fine up to $500 per ticket or 6 months imprisonment, or both.

If you have any property maintenance questions, please call the City’s Community Services Section at 913-895-6270